The Manhasset name was adopted in 1840 and comes from the native word "Manhansett", meaning "island neighborhood." Dairy farming was still a major endeavor but the oyster industry was also on the rise. In 1898, the Long Island Railroad arrived, bringing with it wealthy New Yorkers looking for country homes with easy transportation to more urban areas of New York City. Manhasset Valley and the area called Spinney Hill attracted a number of skilled workers and immigrant families.
The North Hempstead Town Hall opened in Manhasset on Plandome Road in 1907. Town councilmen had previously been meeting in Roslyn taverns after North Hempstead split away from Hempstead in 1775.
© 2018 - All Rights Reserved. The IDX information on this site is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use. IDX information may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data provided on this site is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS.
Updated: 23rd August, 2019 5:13 AM.